This calculator is used to determine incentives amounts from the California Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP-HPWH) when installing load shift capable central heat pump water heating (CHPWH) systems in multifamily buildings. The tool is designed to be easy to use and support appropriate design and controls for CHPWH installations. However, it does not negate the importance of manufacturer supported start up, commissioning, and ongoing maintenance.
Also make sure to check out the Ecosizer tool (link at top of page), which helps engineers determine the capacity and thermal storage required to meet the buildings load and achieve load shifting.More Information
how to use this tool
- Before using the tool, you need to know what equipment you will be installing. If you need to size the system and select equipment, the best place to start is the Ecosizer sizing tool.
- Enter the project zip code. This information tells the simulation tool what weather file and CO2 emissions data to use.
- Provide number of apartments by bedroom type. This input is used to estimate annual load - both hot water usage and recirculation load.
- Select a primary water heating configuration type.
- Select a temperature maintenance system.
- Enter equipment information. Select CHPWH models from the drop down; enter storage volumes; enter electric resistance element information as required.
- Input load shift controls strategy. This includes the location of the temperature sensor and HPWH outlet temperature for each mode of operation. Grey fields are recommended setpoints and not user adjustable.
- Click “SIMULATE YOUR SYSTEM” and wait 5 to 10 seconds for results while the simulator runs baseline and load shift models and calculates emissions savings.
- Download a PDF of the results and send it to the SGIP-HPWH program portal to reserve your incentive.
Please Note: While TECH HPWHs is not currently accepting applications for CHPWHs, this page is available to help users become familiar with the calculator in preparation for the opening. Participants and other stakeholders will be notified via email when the program is officially open for CHPWH submissions